Built in:1951 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1674)
Type of car:streetcar (PCC, postwar) (Class A-15)
Current Owner:Halton County Radial Railway(Rockwood, Ontario)
Car History by Frank Hicks
Toronto Transportation Commission 4600s General
The city of Toronto operated more PCC cars at one time or another than any other city in North America, 744 total. Of these 540 were built new for TTC, and the last series of PCC's built for Toronto were the 50 cars of series A-8, 4500-4549. They were among the last PCC's built for any North American city and some ran into the 1990's. In the mid-1980's TTC decided to put two dozen or so A-8 PCC's through a major rehab program to enable them to operate into the 21st century on the new Harbourfront Line. These cars were heavily rebuilt, with much of their steel structure replaced and electrical systems upgraded, and became part of a new class, A-15. In the end, a total of 19 A-8 type cars were rebuilt over the course of the A-15 rebuilding program. In late 1995 TTC made the decision to end all PCC operation in Toronto and the 19 A-15's were retired that December.
Toronto Transportation Commission 4600
Car 4505 had sat idle since a 1984 collision and was rebuilt during 1986 by TTC shop forces as the pilot model for the rehab cars. The success of this rebuilding led to a continuation of the A-15 program. Pilot car 4600 was bought by Halton County the next year and has been in operation at that museum since.
Ownership History:Toronto Transportation Commission #4505 1951-1986 / Toronto Transportation Commission #4600 1986-1996 / Halton County Radial Railway(Rockwood, Ontario) 1996-present
Facts and Figures
|#Seats:45||#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)||Total HP:220|
|Motors:WH 1432J (4)||Voltage (if not 600DC): |
NotesOriginally type A-8 #4505