Chicago Transit Authority 4146

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1915 by Cincinnati Car Company (ord#2000)
Type of car:rapid transit car (center door)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Chicago Transit Authority 4146
When the Chicago elevated system was unified in 1913, design and construction of the system's first steel cars began. The result was 250 all-steel cars built with more modern trucks and electrical equipment than the older wood cars and designed with subway operation in mind. These cars had steel roofs with no provision for trolley poles (leading to their nickname: Baldies) and three side doors for use in the as-yet-unbuilt subway, though the middle doors were never used. These cars operated across the Chicago rapid transit system for fifty years with few modifications. Around 1948 the CTA combined all of the 4000-series cars into semi-permanently coupled pairs and rebuilt them for multiple unit door control, but there were few other major changes. The first Baldy to be preserved in a museum was this car, which came to IRM along with a later 4000-type car in 1972. It was used periodically during the 1970's and 1980's but was retired for body and interior rebuilding work; this restoration project is ongoing.

Ownership History:Chicago Elevated Railway #4146 1915-1924 / Chicago Rapid Transit #4146 1924-1947 / Chicago Transit Authority #4146 1947-1972 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1972-present

Facts and Figures

Status:undergoing restorationGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:DE
#Seats:52#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-2)Total HP:330
Trucks:Baldwin 78-25A/72-22ABrakes:AMUCompressor:D3-F
Motors:GE 243B (2)Voltage (if not 600DC)