Illinois Central 1439

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1928 by Pullman (ord#6193)
Type of car:rapid transit car (standard commuter trailer)
Current Owner:Nevada Northern(East Ely, Nevada)

Car History by Keith Albrandt & Frank Hicks

Illinois Central 1439
This car was part of an order for ten trailers numbered 1431-1440 which was built for the IC's suburban Chicago electrification. It was used on the IC's suburban lines until 1972, when it was replaced by new Highliner cars. At that time it was one of several IC MU cars sold to the CO&E in southern Illinois for use in tourist train service. It was used by the CO&E in this capacity from May 29, 1973 until October 29, 1978, after which the CO&E abandoned all passenger service. During its time on the CO&E this car was named the "Franklin." It was part of the Whistle Stop Special for the reelection of Illinois Governor Jim Thompson in September 1978. Car 1439 was stored until March 1981, when it was sold to MSRR in Amory, Mississippi, where it was used from 1983 to 1986 on steam excursions. In April 1989 it was sold to the L&C in Battle Ground, Washington, but was not used there. In July 1993 the W&P bought it and during the next two years it was used occasional! ly. In mid-1995 car 1439 was acquired by the NN to replace a car damaged in a 1995 collision. For the 2002 Olympic Special to Heber, Utah, the car was given the number 08 and the name "Nevada."

Ownership History:Illinois Central #1439 1928-1971 / 1st preserved by Crab Orchard & Egyptian 1972-1981 / later preserved by Magnolia State Railroad 1981-1989 / Nevada Northern(East Ely, Nevada) 1995-present

Facts and Figures

Status:towed inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:RREnded:SE
#Seats:84#Wheels/Conf.:8 (2-2)Total HP:0
MotorsVoltage (if not 600DC):1500vDC


Later preserved by Lewis & Clark Railway (1989-1993); later preserved by Willamette & Pacific (1993-1995); lettered Nevada Northern #08 "Nevada"