Chicago Rapid Transit 1024

Illinois Railway Museum

Built in:1898 by Pullman
Type of car:rapid transit car (open platform car)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Chicago Rapid Transit 1024
The oldest surviving car from Chicago's Northwestern Elevated line, and one of only two open-platform Chicago "L" cars in existence, is this car. It was part of a series of 38 cars which formed the original fleet of the NWE, which was the last of the Chicago rapid transit system's four companies to be built. Many of Chicago's older wood "L" cars, like 1024, ran for over half a century. In the mid-1950's, with 6000-series cars being delivered by the hundreds, 1024 was put into work service. It only ran in this capacity for four years, and in 1958 was acquired by IRM. It ran itself under power to IRM's original site at North Chicago along the North Shore Line, but along the way one of its motors shorted out; soon afterwards both of its motors were removed and have not been reinstalled since. During the 1970's 1024 was regularly operated at IRM as a control trailer but it was grounded during the 1980's due to the need to rebuild its platforms. IRM's second-oldest electric car, it is currently on public display.

Ownership History:Northwestern Elevated #24 1898-1913 / Chicago Elevated Railway #1024 1913-1924 / Chicago Rapid Transit #1024 1924-1947 / Chicago Transit Authority #1024 1947-1954 / Chicago Transit Authority #S111 1954-1958 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1958-present

Facts and Figures

Status:displayed inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:RREnded:DE
#Seats:42#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-2)Total HP:320
Trucks:McGuireBrakes:AMR (M23)Compressor:D3-EG
Motors:[GE 55 (2)]Voltage (if not 600DC)


Later CTA work motor #S111