Branford Electric Railway Association
Circa 1893, the car was withdrawn from passenger service and re-numbered "G". There are conflicting reports that it may have been used briefly as a special car for bicyles, or for handling baggage, but it soon settled into the role it would have until retirement: distribution of tickets to the elevated stations and money collection.
Soon after the turn of the century the Manhattan Railway elevated lines were converted from steam to electric power, and in 1902 car G was made into a motorless control trailer. After that modification it survived to the end of its service life virtually unmodified. In 1955, with the closing of the elevated era in Manhattan, the car was taken out of regular service and put into storage. In 1959 BERA acquired car G. It has been cosmetically restored to its appearance in 1902, right after being electrified. It is also operated occasionally, using a Brooklyn Rapid Transit car for motive power. From 1998 to 2001 car G was on loan to the New York Transit Museum.
Ownership History:New York Elevated Railroad #41 1878-1879 / Manhattan Railway #41 1879-1893 / Manhattan Railway #G 1893-1903 / Interborough Rapid Transit #G 1903-1940 / New York City Board of Transportation #G 1940-1953 / Branford Electric Railway Association(East Haven, Connecticut) 1959-present
|#Seats:n/a||#Wheels/Conf.:8 (2-2)||Total HP:0|
|Motors:||Voltage (if not 600DC):|