Dave's Electric Railroads
During the construction of the line, a competing railroad reinforced a bridge under which the line passed. The ulterior motive of this act was to block the trolley line from reaching the waterfront and bypassing the railroad's freight business. Thus, the Derby Locomotive's roof had to be lowered and the trolley pole supported by a collapsible tower.
The Derby St. Ry. began hauling freight in July 1888 but discontinued this service in October 1889, giving the Derby locomotive a service life of just one year. Sometime between 1900 and 1906 it was put on display in Pine Rock Grove, a park owned by Connecticut Railway & Lighting, which had acquired DSR in 1900. In 1914 the heavily vandalized locomotive was moved to the shops of the Connecticut Company (which had acquired CR&L) and put into protective storage, having gained the affections of master mechanic Charles Rufus Harte. In 1928 it was transferred to the New Haven RR, which cosmetically restored the "Derby" and spent the next twenty years trotting it out for display at fairs and various special occasions. In 1950 the Danbury Fair bought the "Derby" for $250 and displayed it annually until it was acquired by BERA. Between 1982 and 1987 the locomotive was completely restored by BERA and made operational, complete with its totally rebuilt Van Depoele motor.
Ownership History:Derby Street Railway #Derby 1888-1900 / Connecticut Railway & Lighting #Derby 1900-? / 1st preserved by Pine Rock Grove ?-1914 / later preserved by Connecticut Company 1914-1928 / Branford Electric Railway Association(East Haven, Connecticut) 1982-present
|#Seats:n/a||#Wheels/Conf.:4 (B)||Total HP:75|
|Trucks:Pullman #5 Pedestal||Brakes:Hand||Compressor:n/a|
|Motors:Van Depoele (1)||Voltage (if not 600DC):|