Illinois Terminal 504

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1910 by American Car & Foundry (ord#5575)
Type of car:interurban (sleeping car)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Illinois Terminal 504
The only interurban sleeping car to survive fully intact is this wooden car from the second largest interurban system in the U.S., the Illinois Terminal. The "Peoria" was one of eight sleeping cars to ply the tracks of the IT, and was one of the last in service. When sleeping car service ended in 1938, the car was converted to work service and put in use as a bunk car. Fortunately, few modifications were made, and "Peoria" remained intact until retired by the IT in 1960. It passed through several years of private ownership until it was sold to an IRM member in 1966 who moved it to Union; it was later officially donated to IRM. It has been operated in the past but is currently on static display.

Ownership History:Illinois Traction System #504 1910-1928 / Illinois Terminal #504 1928-1938 / Illinois Terminal #049 1938-1960 / 1st preserved by Private owner 1960-1966 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1966-present

Facts and Figures

Status:displayed inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:AREnded:DE
#Seats:20#Wheels/Conf.:8 (2-2)Total HP:0
Trucks:ACF MCBBrakes:ABCompressor
MotorsVoltage (if not 600DC)


"Peoria"; later rebuilt to bunk car #049; originally had ATU brakes