Illinois Terminal 415

Fallen Flag Railroad Photos

Built in:1924 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1324)
Type of car:interurban (lightweight suburban)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Illinois Terminal 415
This lightweight suburban car was built for interurban service on the Illinois Valley Division (the "IVDIV") of the Illinois Traction System, later known as the Chicago & Illinois Valley. When the IVDIV quit in 1934, 415 and its sister cars were transferred to St. Louis for suburban service. It was rebuilt for double-end operation and its toilet compartment was removed. It operated out of St. Louis until all IT passenger service ended in 1956, after which it was acquired by IRM. In 1966, 415 became the first car ever to operate at IRM's site in Union. Between 1966 and the present 415 has, with only a few exceptions, been in almost constant use. It is one of the primary service cars at IRM.

Ownership History:Illinois Traction System #64 1924-1929 / Chicago & Illinois Valley #64 1929-1934 / Illinois Terminal #415 1934-1956 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1956-present

Facts and Figures

Status:operated oftenGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:DE
#Seats:48#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:140
Trucks:St Louis 69Brakes:SME (M28)Compressor:DH-16
Motors:GE 265D (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)