Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee 411

Built in:1923 by Cincinnati Car Company (ord#2640)
Type of car:interurban (coach, converted tavern/lounge)
Current Owner:Escanaba & Lake Superior(Wells, Michigan)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee 411
One of only three 400-series parlor/dining cars from the North Shore preserved, car 411 was built as an open-ended observation car. Retired during the Depression because of declining revenues, in World War II the car was rebuilt as a coach to help handle the massive crowds going to and from Glenview Naval Station. Car 411 was retired in 1963 when the North Shore quit and was acquired by the Trolley Museum of New York, a loosely-knit collection of equipment that bounced around to various locations (including Trolley Valhalla in New Jersey and the Coney Island Shops of the New York subway system) in the Tri-State area. The car was evidently stored on the South Brooklyn Railway for a time, but in 1973 TMNY deaccessed and sold the car. The buyer was John Lauber, who purchased 411 on behalf of The Wisconsin Electric Railway Historical Society in East Troy, Wisconsin. The car was moved to TWERHS and was stored there, but Lauber was never reimbursed for the car and therefore technically retained ownership. When TWERHS dissolved in 1988, Lauber sold the car to John Larkin, owner of the Escanaba & Lake Superior Railroad. For the last 15 years 411 has been stored at the E&LS facility in Escanaba, Michigan.

Ownership History:Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee #411 1923-1963 / 1st preserved by Trolley Museum of New York 1963-1973 / later preserved by The Wisconsin Electric Railway Historical Society 1973-1989 / Escanaba & Lake Superior(Wells, Michigan) 1989-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:DE
#Seats:58#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-2)Total HP:0
Trucks:Baldwin 84-30AABrakes:AMU (M23)Compressor
MotorsVoltage (if not 600DC)