Chicago Aurora & Elgin 308

Fallen Flag Railroad Photos

Built in:1906 by Niles Car & Manufacturing
Out-of-service/Retired:1962 (1957)
Type of car:interurban (standard coach)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Chicago Aurora & Elgin 308
This car is one of three Niles-built CA&E cars surviving, and is also one of three "half-motor" CA&E cars left. Built as a four-motor car, at some point - thought to be the early 1920's - car 308 had half of its electrical equipment and motors removed to supply other cars. It operated for the last 30 years of its life as a two-motor car. Retired in 1957, it was sold to a group of railfans in Indianapolis in 1962 and stored in the yards near Indianapolis Union Terminal. Around 1964-65 it became one of the first car in the collection of the newly-formed Indiana Museum of Transportation and Communication (IMOTAC). The car was moved to IMOTAC's site in Noblesville, where a barn was built and a collection of rolling stock was assembled. Car 308 was the second car ever to run at IMOTAC, in 1973, but at some point in the mid- to late-1970's a restoration effort resulted in one end of the car being disassembled before the effort was abandoned. The car was stored for nearly two decades until a fiscal crisis at the now-Indiana Transportation Museum in 1996 resulted in the car being sold to IRM. Rebuilding work commenced in 1999 and car 308 operated for the first time at IRM in 2002. It is currently in regular operation.

Ownership History:Aurora Elgin & Chicago #308 1906-1922 / Chicago Aurora & Elgin #308 1922-1962 / 1st preserved by Indiana Transportation Museum 1962-1996 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1996-present

Facts and Figures

Status:operated oftenGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:RREnded:DE
#Seats:52#Wheels/Conf.:8 (2-B)Total HP:250
Trucks:PullmanBrakes:AMM (M15B)Compressor:D3-EG
Motors:GE 66B (2)Voltage (if not 600DC)