Illinois Terminal 233

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1905 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#560)
Type of car:interurban (business car)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Illinois Terminal 233
This beautifully furnished interurban office car was built in 1909 as the coach "Missouri." It was soon rebuilt, though, as parlor car 233. The car's claim to fame came in 1912 when it and car 234 were used to transport President William Howard Taft across the Illinois Traction System. The car was used for years as the IT's primary office car and was used for official trips and inspections. For most of its life it was powered, but its motors were removed around 1954. Taken out of service when the IT interurban lines were being abandoned, 233 was sold to Maury Kleboldt. Kleboldt ran the Illini Railroad Club, a group dedicated to running fantrips, and used 233 (and 234, which he also acquired) on several fantrips over the IT system in the 1950's and 1960's. In 1968, 233 and 234 were acquired by IRM. The car has been operated (as a trailer) at IRM, but problems with motor car 277 have grounded it in recent years. It is on display.

Ownership History:Illinois Traction System #Missouri 1905-1909 / Illinois Traction System #233 1909-1928 / Illinois Terminal #233 1928-1956 / 1st preserved by Illini Railroad Club 1956-1968 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1968-present

Facts and Figures

Status:displayed inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:AREnded:SE
#Seats:7#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:300
Trucks:St Louis 61ABrakes:AMS (M22A)Compressor:D2-EG (2)
Motors:[GE 205A (4)]Voltage (if not 600DC)