Tidewater Southern 200

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1913 by Jewett Car Company
Type of car:interurban (combine)
Current Owner:Western Railway Museum(Rio Vista, California)

Car History by Eugene Vicknair

Tidewater Southern 200
TS 200 was one of three combines built by Jewett for the railroad in 1912, entering service on November 15, 1913. Numbered 200-202, they were the only passenger interurban cars owned by the Tidewater Southern. The railroad was unusual in that it never owned a "pure" passenger interurban. All three of the cars featured LCL and baggage space, along with regular seating and a "smoking" section. The cars ran in service between Stockton and Modesto in the Central Valley of California, a distance of 33 miles. At one point, from 1916-1918, they were holding down a schedule of 24 daily trains and covering the run in 65 minutes. Stating in 1918, the run frequency dropped until 1932, when only 8 daily trains were offered. The last interurban run occurred on May 26, 1932. The 3 cars were detrucked and used as section houses at a junction south of Modesto until the 1950's or 60's. Car 200 ended up in a field near the TS mailine. In 1979, the car was rescued from the field, where it had sat with car 202 for over 35 years, by members of the Bay Area Electric Railway Association. It was moved to WRM at Rio Vista Jct. where is still rests in a carbarn, waiting to be restored. Car 202 also survives, now part of a barn nearby.

Ownership History:Tidewater Southern #200 1913-1934 / Western Railway Museum(Rio Vista, California) 1979-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:AREnded:DE
#Seats:46#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:260
Trucks:[Brill 27MCB2X]Brakes:AMMCompressor:[CP-28]
Motors:[GE 201G (4)]Voltage (if not 600DC):1200vDC


Body only, on trucks