Lake Shore Electric 150

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1906 by Niles Car & Manufacturing
Type of car:interurban (coach)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Lake Shore Electric 150
A typical LSE interurban coach, this car was typical of the wooden cars Niles built for a variety of midwestern interurban lines. It originally had arched end windows and a drop back platform, but was rebuilt early in its life. Retired when the LSE was abandoned in 1938, 150 was one of many LSE cars sold for other uses. It was used as a house in Milan, Ohio from 1938 until 1964, when it was moved to Fostoria and used as a house there by James Jenck. In May 1977 the carbody was moved to the Station Square complex in Pittsburgh and cosmetically restored - with some modifications made - for use as a flower shop; there it remained until it was acquired in 2000 by the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. PTM, which wasn't interested in the car, immediately resold it to IRM and it was moved to Union in October 2000. It has been repainted and put on display.

Ownership History:Lake Shore Electric #150 1906-1938 / 1st preserved by Station Square 1977-2000 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 2000-present

Facts and Figures

Status:displayed inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:RREnded:SE
#Seats:52#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:400
Trucks:[Baldwin 84-30]Brakes:AMMCompressor:[D2-EG]
Motors:[WH 121 (4)]Voltage (if not 600DC)


Body only, on trucks