Cincinnati & Lake Erie 119

Fallen Flag Railroad Photos

Built in:1930 by Cincinnati Car Company (ord#3055)
Type of car:interurban (lightweight/highspeed car)
Current Owner:Ohio Railway Museum(Worthington, Ohio)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Cincinnati & Lake Erie 119
One of four C&LE "Red Devil" lightweight high-speed interurban cars to survive is this piece of equipment. It was built for the C&LE as part of an order for twenty cars, ten coaches and ten coach/parlor cars, that were intended to modernize the system. The new cars had revolutionary features like automotive-inspired styling, aluminum sides, and magnetic track brakes. Declining ridership led the C&LE to abandon all passenger service in 1938, however, at which time six coaches - including 119 - were sold to the CR&IC, or "Crandic." These six cars ran on the Crandic until that line was abandoned in 1953, when four of them were sold off intact. Car 119 was bought by ORM and moved to that organization's site, where it was repainted in C&LE colors and operated until the mid-1970's. In the years following the partial dissolution of the ORM membership in 1975 this car suffered severe weather damage and was eventually tarped. It is currently stored outdoors.

Ownership History:Cincinnati & Lake Erie #119 1930-1938 / Cedar Rapids & Iowa City #119 1938-1953 / Ohio Railway Museum(Worthington, Ohio) 1953-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:SE
#Seats:42#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:400
Trucks:Cincinnati ABC-74DBrakes:Air-Magnetic (M33)Compressor:DH-25
Motors:GE 706A1 (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)