Cincinnati & Lake Erie 116

Built in:1930 by Cincinnati Car Company (ord#3055)
Out-of-service/Retired:1954 (1953)
Type of car:interurban (lightweight/highspeed car)
Current Owner:Branford Electric Railway Association(East Haven, Connecticut)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Cincinnati & Lake Erie 116
One of four C&LE "Red Devil" lightweight high-speed interurban cars to survive is this piece of equipment. It was built for the C&LE as part of an order for twenty cars, ten coaches and ten coach/parlor cars, that were intended to modernize the system. The new cars had revolutionary features like automotive-inspired styling, aluminum sides, and magnetic track brakes. Declining ridership led the C&LE to abandon all passenger service in 1938, however, at which time six coaches - including 116 - were sold to the CR&IC, or "Crandic." These six cars ran on the Crandic until that line was abandoned in 1953, when four of them were sold off intact. Car 116 was bought by BERA and moved to Connecticut. In the 1970's restoration work was begun to return the car to its appearance on the C&LE however this work was not completed, and the car is stored in good condition in a state of suspended restoration.

Ownership History:Cincinnati & Lake Erie #116 1930-1938 / Cedar Rapids & Iowa City #116 1938-1954 / Branford Electric Railway Association(East Haven, Connecticut) 1954-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:SE
#Seats:38#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:400
Trucks:Cincinnati ABC-74DBrakes:Air-Magnetic (M33)Compressor:DH-25
Motors:GE 706A1 (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)