Cedar Rapids & Iowa City 111

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1930 by Cincinnati Car Company (ord#3055)
Out-of-service/Retired:1954 (1953)
Type of car:interurban (lightweight/highspeed car)
Current Owner:Western Railway Museum(Rio Vista, California)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Cedar Rapids & Iowa City 111
One of four ex-C&LE "Red Devil" lightweight high-speed interurban cars to survive is this piece of equipment. It was built for the C&LE as part of an order for twenty cars, ten coaches and ten coach/parlor cars, that were intended to modernize the system. The new cars had revolutionary features like automotive-inspired styling, aluminum sides, and magnetic track brakes. Declining ridership led the C&LE to abandon all passenger service in 1938, however, at which time six coaches - including 111 - were sold to the CR&IC, or "Crandic." These six cars ran on the Crandic until that line was abandoned in 1953, when four of them were sold off intact. Car 111 was bought by a private collector named Kenneth Fry, who moved it into storage in Kansas. In 1972 the car was donated to WRM, which restored it and operates it on occasion.

Ownership History:Cincinnati & Lake Erie #111 1930-1938 / Cedar Rapids & Iowa City #111 1938-1954 / 1st preserved by Private owner 1954-1973 / Western Railway Museum(Rio Vista, California) 1973-present

Facts and Figures

Status:operated occasionallyGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:SE
#Seats:58#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:400
Trucks:Cincinnati ABC-74DBrakes:Air-Magnetic (M33)Compressor:DH-25
Motors:GE 706A1 (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)