Indiana Railroad 65

Illinois Railway Museum

Built in:1931 by Pullman (ord#6399)
Type of car:interurban (lightweight/highspeed car)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Indiana Railroad 65
This historic lightweight, high-speed interurban car is the only interurban car from the Indiana Railroad to survive intact and in its original configuration. Part of IRR's order for famously modern and successful interurbans, 65 was one of the last cars still operating when IRR finally succumbed in 1941. Howard Odinius, an IRR fan, tried to acquire the car but was unable to raise the money; instead, he persuaded the Cedar Rapids & Iowa City to buy it. The car ran as "CRANDIC" 120 until that line de-electrified in 1953, at which time Odinius was able to raise enough money to purchase the car. IRR 65 became the first car ever acquired by the newly created Illinois Railway Museum. Restoration of the car took place in fits and starts between 1953 and about 1980. While 65 is operational, its single-ended design makes it impractical for regular use at IRM.

Ownership History:Indiana Railroad #65 1931-1941 / Cedar Rapids & Iowa City #120 1941-1953 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1953-present

Facts and Figures

Status:operated occasionallyGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:aluminum/steelRoof type:AREnded:SE
#Seats:40#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:400
Trucks:GSCBrakes:SME (M33)Compressor:DH-16
Motors:GE 706B1 (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)


First car acquired by IRM