Peninsular Railway 52

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1903 by American Car Company (ord#483)
Type of car:interurban (standard coach)
Current Owner:Western Railway Museum(Rio Vista, California)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Peninsular Railway 52
The Peninsular Railway was a system of interurban lines radiating south and west from San Jose that was formed in 1909 by a merger of two roads, the Peninsular Railroad and the SJ-LG. The first large order of cars for the SJ-LG was a series of twelve wooden interurban cars numbered 2-13, with even numbered cars motorized and odd numbered cars trailers. This car, number 4, also bore the name "Granger" after one of the line's founders. In 1910, after PRy was taken over by the Southern Pacific, the cars were rebuilt with heavier equipment. Operations continued through the 1920's, but when the road that the main Campbell-Los Gatos line ran along was widened in 1930 the line had to be abandoned and the rest of the system followed a year later. The body of car 52 became a sewing room in a house near Cupertino, where it remained for forty years. In the early 1970's, when the house was demolished, the carbody was found and rescued by WRM. It was re-equipped using trucks and electrical components from scrapped Central California Traction flat motor 5, though this equipment had actually been originally designed for 1200 volt operation. Restoration to car 52's 1920's appearance was completed in 1976 and the car has been in operation at WRM ever since.

Ownership History:San Jose-Los Gatos Railway #4 1903-1909 / Peninsular Railway #52 1909-1934 / Western Railway Museum(Rio Vista, California) 1969-present

Facts and Figures

Status:operated occasionallyGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:RREnded:DE
#Seats:52#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:180
Trucks:Brill 27MCB3Brakes:SME (M18A)Compressor:DH-16
Motors:GE 205 (2)Voltage (if not 600DC)


Originally SJ-LGR #4 "Granger"; originally had Brill 27MCB1 trucks, WH 38B motors (4) and K-14 control