Indiana Railroad 715

Built in:1918 by American Car & Foundry (ord#8347)
Type of car:box motor (express motor)
Current Owner:Lamont Family(Wellington, Ohio)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Indiana Railroad 715
The last surviving box motor from the Indiana Railroad began life on Interstate Public Service, operating for that company until IPS became part of the vast IRR system in 1930. The freight motor then operated until the IRR abandoned all operation in 1941, when it was sold to American Aggregates. AmAg heavily modified the car, shortening it by several feet and converting it to a diesel-electric with the addition of a prime mover and generator. It switched cars for AmAg until 1968, when it was retired and acquired by the Lamont family. The Lamonts eventually transferred the freight motor/diesel to Wellington, Ohio, where it operates on LSRA trackage. It is apparently lettered Lake Shore Electric, for which it never actually operated.

Ownership History:Interstate Public Service #425 1918-1924 / Interstate Public Service #432 1924-1930 / Indiana Railroad #715 1930-1941 / American Aggregates #3905 1941-1968 / Lamont Family(Wellington, Ohio) 1968-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored operableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:DE
#Seats:n/a#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:500
Trucks:Baldwin MCBBrakesCompressor
Motors:WH 333V8 (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)


Rebuilt 1943 to American Aggregates diesel-electric #3905; still operational as a diesel-electric; formerly located at Waterfront Electric Railway