Cincinnati & Lake Erie 640

Built in:1930 by Cincinnati Car Company (ord#3060)
Type of car:box motor (freight motor)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Cincinnati & Lake Erie 640
One of the last series of cars built by the Cincinnati Car Company was this order of freight motors for the great C&LE system. Among the most modern freight motors ever built, these handsome steel cars formed the core of the C&LE freight fleet until freight service ended in 1938. At that time, 640 was sold to American Aggregates and was converted to a diesel-electric by addition of a prime mover and generator. It switched coal cars at the AmAg facility in Oxford, Michigan for many years until it was retired, stripped and the body put into use as a shed. In 1984, the 640's body was acquired by the Waterfront Electric Railway in Toledo and set on a pair of trucks salvaged from another C&LE box motor. In 1994, prior to WER's move to Grand Rapids, 640 was sold IRM. It is currently in storage.

Ownership History:Cincinnati & Lake Erie #640 1930-1938 / American Aggregates #640 1938-1984 / 1st preserved by Waterfront Electric Railway 1984-1994 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1994-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:DE
#Seats:n/a#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:460
Trucks:Taylor MCBBrakes:AMMCompressor:[D2-EG (2)]
Motors:[WH 303A (4)]Voltage (if not 600DC)


Converted to American Aggragates diesel-electric in 1938