The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transport Company M1

Fallen Flag Railroad Photos

Built in:1918 by Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light
Type of car:box motor (homebuilt freight motor)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transport Company M1
Wisconsin's great interurban system was TMER&L, also known as "the TM" and the Milwaukee Electric. The TM was well known for building its own rolling stock, including virtually its entire work car fleet, a series of locomotives and many of its passenger cars. The TM's Cold Spring Shops built a series of steel freight motors as well, of which M1 was the first. Built to emulate the appearance of the 700-series city cars, M1 served the Milwaukee Electric for many years until it was transferred to WEPCO in 1963 for duty switching the Port Washington power plant. It ran there for a further nine years, after which it - and most of the rest of the Port Washington fleet - was acquired by TWERHS in East Troy, Wisconsin. The freight motor remained at East Troy until TWERHS went defunct in the late 1980's, at which time the car was acquired by IRM. Although not operational, M1 is complete and has been cosmetically restored by IRM.

Ownership History:The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company #M1 1918-1938 / The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transport Company #M1 1938-1963 / Wisconsin Electric Power Company #M1 1963-1972 / 1st preserved by The Wisconsin Electric Railway Historical Society 1972-1988 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1988-present

Facts and Figures

Status:displayed inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:steelRoof type:AREnded:DE
#Seats:n/a#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:440
Trucks:TMER&L M100ABBrakes:AMM (M24)Compressor:D3-N (2)
Motors:GE 205B (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)