Philadelphia Rapid Transit 2282

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1906 by J.G. Brill Company (ord#15199)
Type of car:streetcar ("pay-within" car)
Current Owner:Electric City Trolley Museum(Scranton, Pennsylvania)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Philadelphia Rapid Transit 2282
The oldest Philadelphia streetcar to be preserved is this "pay-within" car which ran on the PRT system until replaced by more modern steel cars in the late 1920's. Sold to the Shamokin & Edgewood Electric - from which it is the only survivor - in 1928, the car ran into the 1930's. Around when the S&EE quit in 1938 the car was evidently converted into a dwelling until rescued in 1967 by Ed Blossom of the Magee museum. It was stored there at Bloomsburg until MTM was devastated by Hurricane Agnes in 1972, after which the museum collection was sold off. The car's exact ownership history is not certain, but in 1973 it was moved to Philadelphia to be part of a planned streetcar museum in the city. It was stored for a time at SEPTA's 69th Street shops and then later at Woodland, where it barely escaped being destroyed in the 1975 Woodland barn fire by virtue of being stored outdoors. Later moved to Dushore to be part of the LBJS (later EPVT) collection, the carbody has been partially restored and has recently been moved into storage in Scranton.

Ownership History:Philadelphia Rapid Transit #2282 1906-1928 / Shamokin & Edgewood Electric #? 1928-? / 1st preserved by Magee Trolley Museum 1967-1973 / later preserved by Liberty Bell Jewett Society 1973-1980 / Electric City Trolley Museum(Scranton, Pennsylvania) 1999-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:5'2.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:DREnded
#Seats:40#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:160
Trucks:Curtis D2BrakesCompressor
Motors:GE 80 (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)


Later preserved by East Penn Valley Traction (1980-1999)