Built in:1958 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1792)
Illinois Railway Museum
Type of car:rapid transit car (half of married-pair PCC set)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)
Car History by Frank Hicks
Chicago Transit Authority 6655-6656
Between 1950 and 1959, the CTA took delivery of 670 rapid transit cars of a type generally known as 6000's. The 6000's used modern PCC trucks and control equipment and nearly all extensively used remanufactured components from scrapped Chicago PCC streetcars, which lent them a distinctive look with their small standee windows. The first 620 cars were numbered 6001-6720 and were arranged in permanently-coupled ("married") pairs while for the last fifty cars, numbered 1-50, CTA chose a more traditional single car layout. The 6000's were delivered between 1950 and 1959 over the course of three major groups. The third group, cars 6471-6720, was delivered in the late 1950's. They were substantially identical to the previous group of 270 cars, though there were some minor modifications. Cars 6655-6656 ran on the CTA for more than 30 years. During the mid-1970's this set was chosen as one of several painted in a patriotic Bicentennial paint scheme, and the set got a name: George Rogers Clark. During the 1980's it lost its special paint job and continued in regular service until the last of the 6000's were retired in late 1992. The set was then acquired by IRM, where it has been in operation ever since.
Ownership History:Chicago Transit Authority #6656 1958-1993 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1993-present
Facts and Figures
|#Seats:51||#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)||Total HP:220|
|Trucks:St Louis B3||Brakes:Electric||Compressor:n/a|
|Motors:WH 1432LK (4)||Voltage (if not 600DC): |
NotesPaired with #6655; former "George Rogers Clark"