Chicago Transit Authority 6462

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1954 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1779)
Type of car:rapid transit car (half of married-pair PCC set)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Chicago Transit Authority 6461-6462
Between 1950 and 1959, the CTA took delivery of 670 rapid transit cars of a type generally known as 6000's. The 6000's used modern PCC trucks and control equipment and nearly all extensively used remanufactured components from scrapped Chicago PCC streetcars, which lent them a distinctive look with their small standee windows. The first 620 cars were numbered 6001-6720 and were arranged in permanently-coupled ("married") pairs while for the last fifty cars, numbered 1-50, CTA chose a more traditional single car layout. The 6000's were delivered between 1950 and 1959 over the course of three major groups. The second and largest group, cars 6201-6470, was delivered in the mid-1950's. Cars 6461-6462 make up the only surviving set from that order. They differed from the first 200 cars most markedly in having the conductor's position arranged differently and in having doors that were flush with the curved car sides. This set was retired in the mid-1980's after a service life of about 50 years and acquired by IRM; it has never run at Union and is on static display. The cars were partly repainted in their as-delivered colors in the mid-1990's but this cosmetic restoration was never completed.

Ownership History:Chicago Transit Authority #6462 1954-1986 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1986-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:aluminum/steelRoof type:AREnded:SE
#Seats:50#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:220
Trucks:Clark B2Brakes:ElectricCompressor:n/a
Motors:WH 1432LK (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)


Paired with #6461