Built in:1951 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1674)
Type of car:streetcar (PCC, postwar) (Class A-15)
Current Owner:Kenosha Streetcar Line(Kenosha, Wisconsin)
Car History by Frank Hicks
Toronto Transportation Commission 4600s General
The city of Toronto operated more PCC cars at one time or another than any other city in North America, 744 total. Of these 540 were built new for TTC, and the last series of PCC's built for Toronto were the 50 cars of series A-8, 4500-4549. They were among the last PCC's built for any North American city and some ran into the 1990's. In the mid-1980's TTC decided to put two dozen or so A-8 PCC's through a major rehab program to enable them to operate into the 21st century on the new Harbourfront Line. These cars were heavily rebuilt, with much of their steel structure replaced and electrical systems upgraded, and became part of a new class, A-15. In the end, a total of 19 A-8 type cars were rebuilt over the course of the A-15 rebuilding program. In late 1995 TTC made the decision to end all PCC operation in Toronto and the 19 A-15's were retired that December.
Toronto Transportation Commission 4617
Car 4539 was the second-to-last car rebuilt in the A-15 program and was outshopped in early 1992. When the PCC's were retired in 1995, 4617 had been in service for less than four years. It was bought by ETERM the next year, fitted with standard gauge trucks and put into operation. It still runs but is used only rarely.
Ownership History:Toronto Transportation Commission #4539 1951-1992 / Toronto Transportation Commission #4617 1992-1996 / 1st preserved by East Troy Electric Railroad 1996-2011 / Kenosha Streetcar Line(Kenosha, Wisconsin) 2011-present
Facts and Figures
|#Seats:45||#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)||Total HP:220|
|Motors:WH 1432J (4)||Voltage (if not 600DC): |
NotesOriginally 4'10.875" gauge type A-8 #4539