Built in:1951 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1674)
Dave's Electric Railroads
Type of car:streetcar (PCC, postwar) (Class A-15)
Current Owner:National Capital Trolley Museum(Wheaton, Maryland)
Car History by Frank Hicks
Toronto Transportation Commission 4600s General
The city of Toronto operated more PCC cars at one time or another than any other city in North America, 744 total. Of these 540 were built new for TTC, and the last series of PCC's built for Toronto were the 50 cars of series A-8, 4500-4549. They were among the last PCC's built for any North American city and some ran into the 1990's. In the mid-1980's TTC decided to put two dozen or so A-8 PCC's through a major rehab program to enable them to operate into the 21st century on the new Harbourfront Line. These cars were heavily rebuilt, with much of their steel structure replaced and electrical systems upgraded, and became part of a new class, A-15. In the end, a total of 19 A-8 type cars were rebuilt over the course of the A-15 rebuilding program. In late 1995 TTC made the decision to end all PCC operation in Toronto and the 19 A-15's were retired that December.
Toronto Transportation Commission 4603
Car 4548 was one of the early cars in the A-15 program and was outshopped in 1989. Car 4603 was bought by NCTM soon after retirement, fitted with standard gauge trucks and put into operation. It has seen heavy use at NCTM, especially since a devastating fire in September 2003 destroyed much of that museum's operating fleet.
Ownership History:Toronto Transportation Commission #4548 1951-1989 / Toronto Transportation Commission #4603 1989-1996 / National Capital Trolley Museum(Wheaton, Maryland) 1996-present
Facts and Figures
|#Seats:45||#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)||Total HP:220|
|Motors:WH 1432J (4)||Voltage (if not 600DC): |
NotesOriginally 4'10.875" gauge type A-8 #4548