The arrival of the PCC cars in 1937 brought CTCo 1512 into the spotlight as part of a parade to introduce the new cars to Washington. Coupled with motor car 303, CTCo 1512 operated briefly again on the streets of Washington on August 27, 1937. Capital Transit cars 1101, 1106 and another new car toured the city with the train leading the way as a publicity stunt.
Capital Transit, and later DC Transit continued to offer CTCo 303 and 1512 for fan trip service until CTCo 303 pulled a plow on a trip in 1961. In 1952 CTCo 1512 made a solo trip in the annual Cherry Blossom parade as a float on a flat bed trailer. Continuing a long-standing tradition, railfans dressed in costume and rode in the trailer as passengers on the float.
Under the management of O. Roy Chalk, DC Transit retained ownership of CTCo 1512 after streetcar service ended on January 28, 1962. During the 1960s, Mr., Chalk dispatched the train to the company's main bus facility in Bladensburg, where the shop crew restored the cars' exterior appearance as W&G 212. Chalk had the train and its motor car installed in the boardroom on the main floor of the former carhouse at 36th & M Streets, where they remained until donation to the Smithsonian in the early 1970s. W&G 212 is now stored serviceable in the Smithsonian's facility in Suitland, MD.
Ownership History:Washington & Georgetown #212 1892-1895 / Capital Traction #212 1895-1933 / Capital Traction #1512 1906-1933 / 1st preserved by Capital Transit 1933-1956 / later preserved by DC Transit 1956-1975 / Smithsonian Institution(Washington, District of Columbia) 1975-present
|#Seats:||#Wheels/Conf.:4 (2)||Total HP:|
|Motors:||Voltage (if not 600DC):|