Chicago Surface Lines 1467

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1899 by Chicago Union Traction
Type of car:streetcar (standard)
Current Owner:Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Chicago Surface Lines 1467
CSL 1467 is the only survivor of a series of cars known as "Bowling Alleys" because of their seating arrangement, which was unusual on the Chicago city system. As built in 1899, the car was single-ended and designed for more suburban-type service, but it was rebuilt in the 1920's by CSL with double-ended capability and larger platforms for faster loading and unloading. After World War II, 1467 was taken out of passenger service; renumbered AA72, its seats were removed and it was modified for use in spreading salt. It was used in this capacity until the end of streetcar service, when the car was acquired by ERHS and moved to that group's Downers Grove, IL site. After several years of storage, the car was torn down to the frame in an aborted restoration attempt; most mechanical equipment and interior fittings were removed and stored, but the car remained in a skeletal state until ERHS went defunct in 1973 and the group's entire collection was donated to IRM. No work has been done on the car since acquisition by IRM, though the component parts are still in storage, and it remains a stripped-down frame to this day.

Ownership History:Chicago Union Traction #4512 1899-1908 / Chicago Railways #1467 1908-1914 / Chicago Surface Lines #1467 1914-1947 / Chicago Transit Authority #AA72 1947-1958 / 1st preserved by Electric Railway Historical Society 1958-1973 / Illinois Railway Museum(Union, Illinois) 1973-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:DREnded:DE
#Seats:36#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP
Trucks:Brill 27GE1Brakes:Straight AirCompressor:[A4]
Motors:[GE 226A (4)]Voltage (if not 600DC)


Later CTA salt car #AA72; body dismantled to frame