Connecticut Company 1425

Dave's Electric Railroads

Built in:1911 by Osgood-Bradley
Out-of-service/Retired:1948 (1947)
Type of car:streetcar (open car, 15-bench)
Current Owner:Branford Electric Railway Association(East Haven, Connecticut)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Connecticut Company 1425
One of several surviving Connecticut Company open cars, 1425 was part of an order for over 100 identical cars built by Osgood-Bradley in 1911. ConnCo owned hundreds of these large open cars, using them all over its system, and ran them much later than most other street railway companies. Though open cars largely fell out of favor by the 1930's, ConnCo retained many to carry crowds to the Yale Bowl games in New Haven right up until the end of service in 1947. When BERA made its decision on which ConnCo cars to save after the system was abandoned, four of the big open cars - including two 1400's - were among the cars chosen to be preserved. In the 1950's and 1960's 1425 was operated regularly at Branford, but in the 1970's it was removed from the operating fleet due to a need for electrical and mechanical rebuilding work. Its body is in very good shape and is fully restored, and it does see occasional operation.

Ownership History:Connecticut Company #1425 1911-1948 / Branford Electric Railway Association(East Haven, Connecticut) 1948-present

Facts and Figures

Status:operated occasionallyGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:DREnded:DE
#Seats:75#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:160
Trucks:Standard O50Brakes:Straight AirCompressor:CP-27
Motors:GE 80 (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)


Originally had Chalmers compressor