CTCo 27 was completely rebuilt in 1931. Features included new brakes, floors and leather seating. The motors were shunted to improve speed in traffic. A new green and gray color scheme was used with green in the panel below the windows and gray on the balance of the car. By this time the car received trolley poles for use on the Connecticut Avenue line.
Capital Transit was formed in 1933 from the merger of Washington Railway and Electric Company and Capital Traction Company. CTCo 27 was renumbered as Capital Transit 766 and received the standard two-main paint scheme of yellow across the window section and apple green above and below. Increased traffic in World War II caused Capital Transit to convert 766 in 1944 to one-man operation by closing off the doors on one side of the car and installing a treadle door at the rear platform. The one-main paint scheme previously reserved for the PCCs and streamliners was applied.
At the request of local traction fans, and with the assistance of Al Savage, in 1951 Capital Transit preserved 766 for use on charter trips and public relations programs. Wearing lights and garland, the car paraded through downtown at the Christmas season. On some of these occasions, the company installed a piano and public address speakers on the car. D.C. Transit System continued use of the car on all ceremonial last runs as the trolley system was abandoned, ending with a final farewell trip on January 28, 1962.
Mr. O. Roy Chalk donated CTCo. 766 to NCTM in 1970.
Ownership History:Capital Traction #27 1918-1933 / Capital Transit #766 1933-1956 / DC Transit #766 1956-1962 / National Capital Trolley Museum(Wheaton, Maryland) 1970-present
|#Seats:48||#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)||Total HP:160|
|Trucks:Brill 77E1||Brakes:SME (M35)||Compressor:D1-F|
|Motors:GE 247D (4)||Voltage (if not 600DC):|