Connecticut Company 65

Built in:1906 by Wason Manufacturing Company
Type of car:streetcar (standard)
Current Owner:Connecticut Trolley Museum(East Windsor, Connecticut)

Car History by Frank Hicks

Connecticut Company 65
This was the first car ever acquired by CTM, and with its acquisition in 1941 this organization became North America's second trolley museum. Car 65 is a standard ConnCo suburban wood-bodied streetcar, like hundreds of others on the system, though it was the only car in its order. It was built for the line from Norwich to Putnam, where it ran for the first 17 years of its life until that line was cut back. After 1923 it was reassigned to ConnCo's Hartford division, and it ran in and around that city for the rest of its career. It last ran on a May 4, 1941 fantrip prior to retirement, a popular use in its later years. Later that year it was donated to the Connecticut Electric Railway Association (operator of CTM) and moved to the East Windsor site, where it was preserved and was later saved from contributing to a World War II scrap drive. ConnCo 65 has operated at CTM in the past but is not currently operational; it is in storage in complete and fair condition.

Ownership History:Consolidated Railway #65 1906-1907 / Connecticut Company #65 1907-1941 / Connecticut Trolley Museum(East Windsor, Connecticut) 1941-present

Facts and Figures

Status:stored inoperableGauge:4'8.5"
Construction:woodRoof type:RREnded:DE
#Seats:48#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)Total HP:160
Trucks:Standard O50Brakes:Straight AirCompressor:DH-10
Motors:WH 101B (4)Voltage (if not 600DC)


First car acquired by CTM