Built in:1948 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1737)
Type of car:rapid transit car (three-car articulated set)
Current Owner:Monticello & Sangamon Valley(Monticello, Illinois)
Car History by Frank Hicks
Chicago Transit Authority 53
Some of Chicago's most unusual "L" cars were the four 5000's, of which 53 is one of three surviving examples and the only survivor built by St. Louis. These cars were built as prototypes and were the product of a CRT study on modern rapid transit car design. Cars 5001-5002 were built by Pullman-Standard and 5003-5004 by St. Louis, though they were almost identical. The 5000's used PCC technology in a fully-articulated three-car arrangement and sported other modern features like aluminum construction and "blinker" doors. Despite their modernity they were not replicated and for some time were "white elephants" on the CTA. In 1964 they were assigned to the then-new Skokie Swift, which ran on part of the recently abandoned North Shore Line, and they remained on the Skokie line until retirement. Car 53 was rebuilt in the mid-1970's and received a patriotic Bicentennial-inspired livery along with a name, "The Minutemen." By the time it was retired and acquired by the M&SV it had lost its patriotic garb and name. It is the M&SV's only piece of electric railway equipment and is on static display near their depot.
Ownership History:Chicago Transit Authority #5003 1948-1963 / Chicago Transit Authority #53 1963-1986 / Monticello & Sangamon Valley(Monticello, Illinois) 1986-present
Facts and Figures
|#Seats:96||#Wheels/Conf.:16 (B-B-B-B)||Total HP:440|
|Trucks:St Louis B3||Brakes:Electric||Compressor:n/a|
|Motors:WH 1432LK (8)||Voltage (if not 600DC): |
NotesFormer "The Minutemen"