Built in:1951 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1674)
Arizona Railway Museum
Type of car:streetcar (PCC, postwar) (Class A-15)
Current Owner:Arizona Railway Museum(Chandler, Arizona)
Car History by Frank Hicks
Toronto Transportation Commission 4600s General
The city of Toronto operated more PCC cars at one time or another than any other city in North America, 744 total. Of these 540 were built new for TTC, and the last series of PCC's built for Toronto were the 50 cars of series A-8, 4500-4549. They were among the last PCC's built for any North American city and some ran into the 1990's. In the mid-1980's TTC decided to put two dozen or so A-8 PCC's through a major rehab program to enable them to operate into the 21st century on the new Harbourfront Line. These cars were heavily rebuilt, with much of their steel structure replaced and electrical systems upgraded, and became part of a new class, A-15. In the end, a total of 19 A-8 type cars were rebuilt over the course of the A-15 rebuilding program. In late 1995 TTC made the decision to end all PCC operation in Toronto and the 19 A-15's were retired that December.
Toronto Transportation Commission 4607
Car 4536 was rebuilt midway through the A-15 program and outshopped in 1990. After retirement car 4607 was bought by Valley Metro, the transit agency in Phoenix, and after a few years was put on public display at the Central Station bus terminal in downtown Phoenix where it still remains.
Ownership History:Toronto Transportation Commission #4536 1951-1990 / Toronto Transportation Commission #4607 1990-1996 / 1st preserved by Valley Metro 1996-2010 / Arizona Railway Museum(Chandler, Arizona) 2010-present
Facts and Figures
|#Seats:45||#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)||Total HP:220|
|Motors:WH 1432J (4)||Voltage (if not 600DC): |
NotesOriginally type A-8 #4536