Built in:1951 by St. Louis Car Company (ord#1674)
Type of car:streetcar (PCC, postwar) (Class A-15)
Current Owner:Michigan Transit Museum(Mount Clemens, Michigan)
Car History by Frank Hicks
Toronto Transportation Commission 4600s General
The city of Toronto operated more PCC cars at one time or another than any other city in North America, 744 total. Of these 540 were built new for TTC, and the last series of PCC's built for Toronto were the 50 cars of series A-8, 4500-4549. They were among the last PCC's built for any North American city and some ran into the 1990's. In the mid-1980's TTC decided to put two dozen or so A-8 PCC's through a major rehab program to enable them to operate into the 21st century on the new Harbourfront Line. These cars were heavily rebuilt, with much of their steel structure replaced and electrical systems upgraded, and became part of a new class, A-15. In the end, a total of 19 A-8 type cars were rebuilt over the course of the A-15 rebuilding program. In late 1995 TTC made the decision to end all PCC operation in Toronto and the 19 A-15's were retired that December.
Toronto Transportation Commission 4601
Car 4512 was chosen as the second pilot model for the A-15 program and was rebuilt between 1986 and 1987 by UTDC, a rail transit contractor. After retirement car 4601 was bought by MTM and moved to Mount Clemens, where it has sat on static display since. Its non-standard Toronto track gauge precludes it from being used by MTM.
Ownership History:Toronto Transportation Commission #4512 1951-1987 / Toronto Transportation Commission #4601 1987-1996 / Michigan Transit Museum(Mount Clemens, Michigan) 1996-present
Facts and Figures
|#Seats:45||#Wheels/Conf.:8 (B-B)||Total HP:220|
|Motors:WH 1432J (4)||Voltage (if not 600DC): |
NotesOriginally type A-8 #4512