The Shore Line Trolley Museum /BERA Membership Web Site
* Home
* About The Museum
* Donate!
* The Collection
* Membership
* Guest Operators
* Volunteer
* Site Map
* Members Only

Car G returns home

Car G, the oldest preserved rapid transit car, built in 1878 and operated on the Third Avenue el. until 1955, returned home to the Branford Shore Line Trolley Museum on October 3rd.

G had been on loan to the New York Transit Museum since 1998. The loan was to run until November 2003. Recently, the NYTM announced that it would be closing for 1½ years for major renovations. Because G would not be available to the public during that time, and because of the difficulty of storing G in a secure location while work was ongoing, the NYTM requested an early termination of the loan agreement.

Car G, a control-trailer car, was towed by NYCTA diesel from the NYTM, via the A line, to 207 St. yard on the evening of October 3rd, where it was loaded aboard the specialized low-slung trailer of Silk Road Transport Inc. The shipment arrived safely in East Haven CT. the next day.

Although the loan and exhibition of car G ended two years earlier than planned, the New York Transit Museum stated that they considered the project a success and a blueprint for possible future collaboration, a prospect to which the Shore Line Trolley Museum sincerely looks forward.


The Shore Line Trolley Museum
17 River Street
East Haven, CT 06512
(203) 467-6927

[ Home ] [ About The Museum ] [ Donate! ] [ The Collection ] [ Membership ] [ Guest Operators ] [ Volunteer ] [ Site Map ] [ Members Only ]

This material is copyright © 1997-2014 Branford Electric Railway Assoc. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: /articles/Greturn.in modified at Sun Oct 14 23:29:03 2001
Comments-To: webmaster@bera.org